It's Labor Day!!! There will be a lot of parties today, and what better way to greet your guests when they arrive than with a cool refreshing drink. Here are a few drink recipes that will have your guests coming back for more! Enjoy!
WATERMELON LIMEADE- AFTERNOON LABOR DAY PARTY
- 8 cups cubed watermelon (seeds removed), or 1 quart watermelon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar, or more to taste
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Ice cubes
- Lime slices (optional)
- Place half of the watermelon cubes in a blender and process until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve set over a large bowl; discard the solids. Repeat with the remaining watermelon cubes. You should end up with about 1 quart of watermelon juice.
- Add the lime juice and sugar to the watermelon juice, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Taste, and add more sugar if necessary. Transfer the limeade to a nonreactive pitcher and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Serve over ice in tumblers, with lime slices for garnish
FRUITY RUM PUNCH- LATE EVENING LABOR DAY PARTY
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen cranberry juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 cup golden or light rum
- 1 bottle (1 liter) club soda, chilled
- Ice cubes
- Pineapple wedges and orange twists
- In a large pitcher or punch bowl, combine the apple juice, pineapple juice, cranberry juice concentrate, orange juice concentrate and rum. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, add club soda. Serve over ice in hurricane or highball glasses. Garnish as desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).